This dairy-free chai ice cream is bursting with coconut, ginger and Indian spices. It’s deliciously satisfying and so wonderfully creamy because it’s made with Andre Prost Coconut Milk.
- 20 minutes to prepare25 minutes to churnFreeze overnight
- 3 1/4 cups
- Bring 1 can Andre Prost Coconut Milk to a full boil. Remove from heat and add tea bags, ginger, cardamom and salt. Stir and cover. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and stirring occasionally, simmer for 2-3 minutes to steep some more, and dissolve sugar. Strain hot base through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Whisk in remaining can of Coconut Milk until smooth.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks very well, in a medium bowl. Stirring continuously, add (in a thin stream) one cup of coconut-chai mixture to beaten egg yolks to temper. Whisk tempered egg yolks into coconut-chai mixture and pour into a medium sized sauce pan.
- Cook over a low-medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened. A wooden spoon or spatula with a point is best for getting into edges of pan. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Pour cold Coconut Milk mixture into frozen insert of ice cream maker. Follow instructions for ice cream maker.