We made this classic Southern pie dairy-free by using Andre Prost Coconut Milk and gave the ginger snap crust a tasty twist by adding grated Odense Almond Paste.
- 25 minutes to assemble
- 55 minutes to bake
- Total time: 80 minutes
- Serves 8
- Preheat oven to 350°F with oven rack in middle position. Oil and flour* a 9 inch pie plate.
- Add chopped ginger snaps and grated Almond Paste to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until the texture of sand. With motor running, slowly add melted margarine until incorporated with crumbs and mixture holds together when pinched between two fingers.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of crumb mixture and add rest to pie plate. Using the flat bottom of a measuring cup, evenly and firmly, press ginger snap mixture on bottom and up sides of pie plate. Gently cover edges of crust with thin pieces of foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, wipe out processor and add: 2 cups of firmly packed sweet potato (with skins removed) Coconut Milk, brown and granulated sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Process until totally smooth.
- Pour into pre-baked shell and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining ginger snap mixture in a circle on top of pie, with some in the very middle. Place back in oven for 25 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack. Refrigerate when cool.