This old fashioned New England pudding isn’t your Granny’s recipe! We made it extra creamy and dairy-free by replacing milk with Andre Prost Coconut Milk. This recipe feeds a crowd and is delicious for breakfast or dessert!
- 20 minutes to assemble
- 55-60 minutes to bake
- Total time: 1 hour and 15-20 minutes
- Serves 10
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 9 X 13 inch baking dish in oven. Add margarine and leave in until melted. Remove baking dish from oven and grease dish with melted margarine.
- In a medium sauce pan, scald Coconut Milk until little bubbles form around edges but not simmering. Remove from heat and stir in cereal. Mix well and let sit 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and sugar until well combined. Mix in vanilla extract and salt. Slowly mix one cup of scalded coconut milk into egg mixture whisking constantly (don't worry if a bit of cereal gets mixed in as well). Slowly add another cup of scalded Coconut Milk, whisking constantly. Finally, while stirring, slowly add tempered egg mixture into sauce pan.
- Place baking dish inside of roasting pan. Make a water bath by pouring hot water into pan until it reaches one-half way up sides of baking dish. Pour pudding mixture into baking dish and sprinkle top with fresh grated nutmeg, if desired.
- Carefully place roasting pan into oven (so water in pan doesn't splash into pudding). Bake 55-60 minutes or until set in middle. Remove pudding from hot water and set dish on a wire rack. It can slightly jiggle in the center and still be done. It will continue to cook after it is out of the oven.