Andre Prost Coconut Milk adds richness to these delicate and classic Samoan coconut rolls.
- 30 minutes to assemble dough and make coconut sauce
- 1 hour for first rise
- 35 minutes to shape rolls and do second rise
- 30-35 minutes to bake
- Serve 12
- Sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar over warm water. Whisk until smooth and dissolved. Set aside until doubled in size and bubbly (about 10 minutes). If it doesn't bubble, start again. Yeast may have been old or water too hot, which will kill yeast.
- Meanwhile, open one can of Andre Prost Coconut Milk and separate the solids of the milk from the coconut water. Add one cup of solid coconut milk (add a few tablespoons of coconut water if needed to make a full cup) to a small sauce pan with coconut oil. Heat just until oil and coconut milk are smooth and combined.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the sugar, egg and one teaspoon of the salt. Mix until combined. Refrigerate remaining coconut water for smoothies.
- Add in yeast mixture and stir until combined. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing well with a spoon or bread hook attachment, until dough is soft. Turn out onto a floured counter and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball and place into an oiled bowl. Turn dough so top of bread is oiled. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and then tea towel. Let rest in a warm place (no drafts) until double in size, about 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, add second can of coconut milk solid to make one cup (adding coconut water if needed) remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a small saucepan. Stirring, cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Refrigerate remaining coconut water for smoothies.
- When dough has doubled, punch bread down and pull (or roll) bread into a 15 x 8 inch rectangle. Firmly press flaked coconut into dough. Tightly roll dough up (lengthwise) pinching seams together. Cut into 12 equal size pieces, dust knife with flour if sticking. Lay bread, cut side up in a greased 12 inch skillet or pan. Set aside to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- After 30 minutes, pour reserved sweetened coconut milk over rolls, brushing tops with mixture. Sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake until golden brown and firm, about 30-35 minutes. Serve slightly warm.